Toxic Remnants of War project launched
The aim of the project is to examine the humanitarian and environmental impact of toxics released as a result of military activities. The project will also examine whether there is the potential for the development of new law to regulate specific materials or activities.
The project is seeking input from experts in a variety of fields as it develops, with the following topics under consideration so far:
– transparency in weapon components
– the role of precaution
– the applicability of peacetime environmental norms
– assessing civilian harm from TRW
– the toxic footprint of military installations
– regulatory frameworks for toxics
The project will hold an informal legal workshop in Berlin in June, with presentations from experts in the field of environmental law. More details and online registration are available here: http://www.toxicremnantsofwar.info/legal-framework-workshop/.